Hey everyone! I’m so excited to be back sharing recipes with you guys. The past couple of months I’ve found myself in a rut, finding it difficult to come up with fresh new ideas. I was grocery shopping with my sister and future brother-in-law and mentioned the rut I was in. I needed more of a challenge. I wanted to learn new things, and push myself like I used to while I was in culinary school.
My future brother-in-law saw an opening, and he took it. He and my sister challenged me to a Chopped challenge. I was to go to the other end of the store, while they picked three secret ingredients for me to make an entrée out of.
Along with the three secret ingredients, there was a time limit of one hour. The three secret ingredients were: sirloin steaks, blueberries, and Tostitos Blue Corn Tortilla Chips.
I must admit I was a little stressed, especially the blue corn chips. My culinary wheels were turning though, and I came up with a Tostitos Crusted Sirloin Steak with Blueberry Sauce. This recipe definitely got me inspired in the kitchen again, and made me push myself to make the best dish possible.
Tostitos Crusted Sirloin Steak with Blueberry Sauce
10 Tostitos Blue Corn Tortilla chips
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
3 Sirloin Steaks
2 tbsp. olive oil (plus 1 tbsp. for searing the steaks)
1 cup blueberries
1 cup chicken broth
10 pepper corns
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 F
- In a food processor or blender, combine the Tostitos chips, garlic and mustard and blend until it forms a thick consistency.
- Rub the olive oil on the steaks, and add salt and pepper. Sear in an oiled pan over high heat, for about 1 minute on each side.
- Carefully, ideally with a brush, brush on the Tostito and mustard crust on one edge of each steak.
- Place the steaks on a baking sheet and place in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until desired doneness.
- While the steak is in the oven, heat the chicken stock, peppercorns, and blueberries in a pot over high heat. Boil for about 5 minutes, and simmer until it reduces by half.
- Plate the steaks with the blueberry sauce and serve!